This is my now page that names what I am focussing on right now – fall 2024.
- I’m teaching an undergraduate course on critical literacies and communities. The course will take up this topic via three frameworks: visionary (in the Boggs/emergent tradition), speculative, and participatory. I plan to thread readings of three novels through as well: 1) The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline; 2) Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler; and 3) The Girl with All the Gifts by Mike Carey. I’ve made a shift in how I am thinking about assignments in the class too, reconceptualizing them as minor experiments instead. I’ve also shifted my thinking about guest speakers (educators, organizers, artists), now thinking of these classes as studio sessions instead.
- I’m teaching a graduate course on critical readings of adolescent and adult literatures. The reading list includes Drum Dream Girl by Margarita Engle; Stepping Stones, Margriet Ruurs; Jerome by Heart, Thomas Scotto; When We Love Someone We Sing to Them by Ernesto Javier Martinez; At the Mountain’s Base by Traci Sorell and Weshoyot Alvitre; Stuntboy, in the Meantime, by Jason Reynolds and Raul the Third; Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older; and so much more!
- Working on an experimental audio paper for Seismograf Peer coming from the now live Forms of Freedom ensemble. The whole piece is composed in Ableton Live. This may be the first piece of a larger, inevitable album of sorts that is (un)equal parts sound art, electronic music, and scholarly communication.
- Drafting through initial ideas for a short book, once again, coming from Forms of Freedom. I think the perfect home would be Minor Compositions.
- Finalizing an academic article from Sound Making Publics where we think about enclosures and what they afford in a community-based music for social change program for Black and Latinx youth — and what this mean for the field of English Education.
I’m excited to be performing live sound (like this, on the tx-6) with dancer/friend Mark Wong in Philadelphia during the Fringe Festival. It will be weird in hopefully the best way.